Don’t miss the chance to see a unique and playful dolphin species on a Dolphin Watching Cruise in Puerto Madryn. The black and white Commerson’s dolphin can only be found off the coast of southern Argentina and Chile and around one remote island in the Indian Ocean. The distinctive markings of these dolphins have earned them a number of nicknames including the panda dolphin, skunk dolphin or piebald dolphin. They’re a highly active species, with a penchant for swimming upside down, making them a lot of fun to spot on this tour.
This dolphin watching tour departs from from Puerto Madryn, travelling south to the Welsh town of Rawson. At Playa Union (Union Beach), put on a life jacket and climb aboard a speed boat. Journey out to sea where you’ll spot some sea lions alongs the way. Once the boat picks up speed, keep your eye out for the black and white sea creatures darting out of the wake and racing the boat. Sometimes two boats will go out at the same time to give travellers a better view of the dolphins playing in the wake of the other boat. The boat ride lasts between one and one and a half hours.
Recommendations for dolphin watching:
- The dolphin watching tour can be enjoyed year round.
- As this is a boat tour, we recommend taking medication if you are prone to motion sickness.
- It gets cold out on the water so take a warm jacket with you. Don’t forget sunscreen and sunglasses to protect against the glare of the sun.
- This tour includes a stop in Trelew and may occasionally be combined with a Welsh Tea Ceremony in the nearby Welsh towns.
- During penguin season, there is a high probability of seeing penguins during this tour.
- Lookout for sea lions during the tour as well.
- Taking photographs of the dolphins is not easy. This is because the dolphins more very fast, making it difficult to get good pictures. We recommend taking the time to enjoy the moment and the sight of the dolphins darting through the water, without stressing about getting the perfect picture.
By: Nicole Eberhard / Video by Olimpio Brunetto