Visit to the Zipaquirá Salt Cathedral & Guatavita
Dedicate a day to get to know the main attractions around Bogotá: the Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá and the Guatavita Lagoon. Dare to go underground to admire the sculptures made of salt. Are you ready? Book now!
|Type of service||Private|
|Seasons||All year round|
|Type of traveller||Solo traveller, With kids, Backpackers, Couples|
|Type of tour||Sightseeing Tours|
- Private transport from/to your hotel
- Tour guide in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
- Entrance to the cathedral and Guatavita ecological reserve
Monday to Sunday.
Departs at 8:00 hs.
8 hours approx.
This tour in Bogotá will take you to know two of the most important attractions in Colombia and admire one of the most extraordinary achievements of Colombian architecture.
The first stop we will make will be at the Zipaquirá Salt Cathedral, a mystical place where the pre-Columbian Muisca culture is combined with an incredible religious heritage. Here you will have the opportunity to visit one of the largest salt mines in the world, its tunnels and know the great salt vaults of the Via Crucis. You will then descend to the depths of the cathedral, get to know the central dome where you will see the largest 15 meters high cathedral cross. An expert guide will explain the meanings behind the symbols that were created by artists and sculptors from around the world, who worked the salt to create a magical atmosphere. From there, you will go to visit a local craft market, before enjoying a delicious traditional lunch.
Then, you will follow the route to Guatavita and its lagoon, where the famous El Dorado legend developed, which made the Spanish conquistadors reach the Colombian territory during the 16th century. You will enjoy a beautiful view from the viewpoint of Guatavita, before proceeding towards the Ecological Reserve, where the Laguna del Cacique Guatavita is located. There, you will have a historical overview of the Muisca civilization and the meanings of the sacred rituals. Finally, the tour will take you back to the city through a road full of beautiful countryside, where you can see the Cerro de las Tres Viejas, and stop in the village of La Calera to taste the delicious typical arepas.
Undoubtedly, this Tour outside the Colombian capital is designed to enjoy the beautiful morning at La Catedral, and discover one of the most beautiful landscapes offered by Colombia and its invaluable cultural and historical richness during the afternoon. Let yourself be surprised by the Colombian culture and admire this wonder with your own eyes. Muisca, mysticism and modern engineering will leave you breathless! Book online your excursions to Colombia!
- This tour departs with a minimum of 2 persons. If there are no other passengers, a single booking is treated as a private tour and carries an extra cost. Should you wish to make an individual reservation, please contact our Customer Support Team to enquire about availability.
- Tour is available in English, Spanish and Portuguese. For other languages, please contact us.
- The tour itinerary is subject to change due to weather conditions.
- The tour duration is an estimate and may take longer.
- Lake Guatavita is closed on Mondays (or Tuesday if Monday is a holiday).
- We recommend bringing a jacket and raincoat or umbrella. The Andean mountains and forests are big produces of rain and wind.